HOME OF WINTER AND HOPE, STARS OF DOLPHIN TALE
Along with a serene setting on Clearwater Beach, Opal Sands Resort offers the perfect home base for enjoying the endless activities, attractions and adventures synonymous with Florida’s Gulf Coast. In fact, there are so many fun things to do in Clearwater Beach, FL that we’ve compiled a short list of can’t-miss attractions near the hotel to get you started. You can also count on our friendly concierge staff to enhance your stay with insider info on the city’s best attractions, dining, and outdoor adventures.
Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- visit the famous dolphins Winter and Hope, stars of the family favorite motion pictures Dolphin Tale and Dolphin Tale 2 at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. The film also starred Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, and Harry Connick Jr. The aquarium focuses on rescue and rehabilitation and everyone will love interacting and learning about all the sea creatures in residence.
Pier 60 Attractions & Sunsets
- Opal Sands Resort is minutes walking distance from the family-friendly destination Pier 60, known for its fishing, restaurants, shopping and nightly sunset celebrations. "Sunsets at Pier 60", a daily celebration features arts and crafts vendors, street musicians and entertainers. The area also hosts the spectacular Sugar Sand Festival sandcastle competition.
The Clearwater Marina
- The Clearwater Marina offers everything from sunset sails and dinner cruises to deep sea fishing expeditions and dolphin encounters.
- Guests seeking an outdoor adventure will love a trip to Caladesi Island State Park, one of the few completely natural islands along the Gulf Coast. Enjoy kayaking through the mangroves, sunbathing on the white sand beach, fishing, hiking and spotting wildlife.
Major League Baseball Spring Training
- Baseball fanatics can catch spring training games for the Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays or the New York Yankees, all within driving distance from the resort.
Beyond Clearwater Beach itself, you’ll find even more activities to enjoy in nearby Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Orlando, including:
Captain Bligh’s Landing Miniature Golf
Busch Gardens, Tampa Bay
Lowry Park Zoo, Tampa
Florida Aquarium, Tampa
Dali Museum, St. Petersburg
Chihuly Collection Morean Art Center, St. Petersburg
Disney World, Orlando